We live very busy and complicated lives in modern times. I see the effect this has on people. I see the stressed and manic expressions on their faces as they rush about from one thing to the next. Everyone doing their best to attend to the somewhat urgent matters of life.
I have found over time that simplifying my life and creating moments of silence and contemplation to be a very rewarding activity. It's a beautiful contrast to the high tech, high speed lives that most of us live. In doing so I have had some of my greatest realisations and deepest moments of gratitude. It's not a complicated process but something that most people feel uncomfortable doing at first. Of course we still need to address any underlying views or beliefs about life that are contributing to psychological stress, but taking a little time out helps too.
Here are a few simple ways you can get started
1. Take a silent walk on a regular basis. No phone, no music just you and your thoughts in nature.
2. Sit outside in the sun for 10minutes with your eyes closed.
3. Visit a local park alone or with loved ones. Just sit there and take it all in.
4. Exercise outdoors again no phone or music.
5. Before you get out of your car just sit there for a few minutes.
6. Mini mindfulness meditation. Just spend 5 minutes mindfully scanning your body and observing your breathing.
7. Gratitude journaling. Take 5mins to write several things you are grateful for today.
8. Wash the dishes in silence.
9. Enjoy a cup of tea mindfully
10. Single task
You get the idea. Little moments of silence and reflection scattered throughout your day. The simple things can become beautiful experiences.
Please share this post with someone you care about and comment bellow with any other ideas for adding silence into your life.